Chronic gum disease is one of the most harmful conditions for your smile. If periodontal disease is left untreated, it can undermine the strength of your smile, and lead to serious dental damage. The good news is that there are effective and accessible dental treatments available to treat gum disease; the key is to seek treatment for oral tissue infections as soon as you notice a problem. With that in mind, our Mill Valley dentists are here to help you understand how periodontal disease manifests.
The specific symptoms of gum disease that you experience will depend on the overall health of your smile, as well as the severity of your oral infection.
In the earliest stages of infection, gum disease is often quite asymptomatic. You may notice…
- That your mouth feels kind of unclean or stale
- That you’re dealing with more plaque buildup in those hard-to-reach spots along your smile, especially between teeth
As gum disease progresses into periodontal disease, you may find…
- That you’re battling hard-to-freshen breath. The oral bacteria that cause gum disease also release unpleasant odors. In order to conquer bad breath, it is crucial that you eliminate the underlying infection.
- That your gum tissue is prone to bleeding, and looks swollen and red.
The longer that periodontal disease goes untreated, the more serious the dental symptoms and consequences become. Chronic gum disease can lead to…
- Gum tissue recession
- A weakening of the ligaments that hold your teeth in place; you may find that your teeth start to feel loose, and even move along your jawline
- Tooth loss
- Bone tissue deterioration
If you think that you are dealing with gum disease, please reach out to your dentist as soon as possible for an evaluation, and to begin treatment if necessary. Our Mill Valley dentists are here to help—give us a call to schedule your consultation!