It’s a great time of year to make positive changes in your life. One idea our Mill Valley dentists have for you? Improving your smile in 2022! There are a number of simple yet effective things that you can do this year to support optimal oral health. Keep reading to learn more about some lifestyle tweaks you can implement right away…
- Drink up! When you drink plenty of fluids, it helps strengthen your teeth and keep them healthier for longer. Saliva production leads to enamel re-mineralization which protects the surface of your smile!
- It’s always good practice to rinse your mouth after eating or drinking anything, but it is especially important when you have just eaten food that could potentially harm the body. The water will clear away bacteria and limit the amount of time that unhealthy substances are in contact with your teeth.
- Healthy snacks are the best way to maintain your oral health! Reach for water-rich fruits and crunchy vegetables, instead of sweet treats.
- Patients should wait to brush their teeth about 30 minutes after eating to avoid risking enamel erosion. Your enamel will actually be temporarily softer than normal during this period of time.
- Here’s one habit that you can try to cut out of your routine. If you are the type of person who regularly chews on hard candies, mints or cough drops protect your smile by eliminating this habit. This behavior can damage dental enamel and create weakened spots in your teeth!
If you have any additional questions about the lifestyle tweaks we discussed today, you can always call our Mill Valley dentists to learn more and to schedule a consultation. We are here to help!